At UsabilityHub we’re helping businesses be more human-centred by making user research easy to conduct and fun to participate in. Over the past ten years we’ve helped thousands of organizations conduct design research and improve their products, from Amazon to GoDaddy to Zendesk and many more.
We are excited to embark on some ambitious plans for 2021 (and beyond) to truly deliver on our mission to democratize UX research and help our customers unlock the value of human-centered design.
About the job
- This is a full-time role, however all employees at UsabilityHub have the option to work a four day week, nine day fortnight or full-time hours.
- Ideally you are based in Melbourne, but anywhere that is compatible with the Melbourne timezone is also acceptable.
- The salary for this position is between $120,000 - $140,000 AUD.
About the role
You will drive the design activities for major features, enabling the product team to leverage customer and user insights to develop human-centered features for and improvements to our product suite.
Overview of responsibilities
As a senior UX designer, the focus of your role will be to lead the design of new features by combining findings from research and human-centered design principles with collaborative design activities in varying levels of fidelity, depending on the relative risk of the project. The design focus is primarily UI, secondarily requirements/scope, and then research. The approach must be deeply pragmatic, lean and collaborative. You’ll be part of a cross-functional Agile/Scrum product team, participating in all rituals as required. As we grow (with your help), there will be exciting potential for your role to increase in scope or seniority, either on a technical or management track.
Conduct planning and visual storytelling activities to support project plans, scoping, communication and human-centered design
- Describe system impacts using various tools including customer journey maps, user flow diagrams, rich picture diagrams
- Lead internal comms and documentation for product team design projects, including facilitation of workshops
- Help measure impact and assess risk by by using Lean canvases, MVP scoping, experiment plans and metrics dashboards.
Facilitate collaborative and inclusive design activities with the product team and other stakeholders
- Gather ideas from diverse stakeholders through sketching workshops, cross-functional kickoffs, design pairing, design feedback sessions
- Iterate designs to mid fidelity wireframes and prototypes with frequent feedback loops
- Pair with developers to iterate designs to higher fidelity using our component library and in-browser design techniques
- Review work in final stages to QA and fine-tune from a visual design and usability perspective
- Assist with product marketing and launch collateral for public-facing comms, including our website, help articles and UI copy.
Conduct or assist with research activities to support feature development and product opportunities
- Unmoderated usability tests and UI-based tests conducted both on designs and existing interfaces
- Interviews with existing and potential customers
- Survey design and analysis
- Assist with research recruitment
Advocate for the needs of the user and champion human-centred design principles at all stages of the feature development cycle
- Surface user needs throughout the iterations of design fidelity, identifying opportunities or needs to mitigate risk through more customer/user research
- Emphasize the needs of our users with collaborative activities including developing empathy maps, extending archetypes and Jobs To Be Done stories
Share recommendations from and document research activities
- Synthesize and communicate your findings and recommendations across the company
- Undertake qualitative analysis & communicate results and recommendations
- Update participant management system and research repository to assist with Research Ops.
- Previous experience in a SaaS company and/or working in the digital design industry is highly desirable
- Experience working in cross-functional Agile/Scrum product teams
- Portfolio of work describing your deliverables across the product design lifecycle, specifically UI design
- Passion for human-centered design
- You must be legally eligible to work in Australia.
Compensation and benefits
- Competitive salary
- Choice of working four day week, nine day fortnight or full-time hours
- Generous paid parental leave (14 weeks primary / 6 weeks secondary)
- Annual budget for L&D activities
- Six full days per year set aside for self-directed learning and improvement.
This role reports to our Director of product, Milly Schmidt
How to apply
Please fill out the short application form with a few details about yourself, including a cover letter addressing your ability to deliver on the subheadings under “Key Responsibilities” and your CV.
We're happy to chat with anyone about the role, even if you're not actively looking for a new job. If you know anyone who might be a good fit, please send them our way :)
UsabilityHub is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.