At UsabilityHub we’re helping businesses be more human-centred by making user research easy to conduct and fun to participate in. Over the past ten years we’ve helped thousands of organizations conduct design research and improve their products, from Amazon to NASA to GoDaddy to Zendesk and many more.
We are excited to embark on some ambitious plans for 2021 (and beyond) to truly deliver on our mission to democratize UX research and help our customers unlock the value of human-centered design.
About the job
- This is a full-time role, however all employees at UsabilityHub have the option to work a four day week, nine day fortnight or full-time hours.
- Ideally you are based in Melbourne, but anywhere that is compatible with the Melbourne timezone is also acceptable.
- The salary for this position is $140,000 AUD.
About the role
Senior full-stack engineers drive the development and delivery of critical features in our product suite, as well as proactively developing foundations and initiatives to help our platform scale as the product and team grows.
Overview of responsibilities
You’ll be responsible for the architecture, implementation and maintenance of our software across all product areas. You’ll work closely with the design, product management and support teams, providing technical input and technical support as needed.
Ideally you’re a generalist who is capable across back-end (Ruby, Rails, Postgres) and front-end (React/Redux/Typescript), but if you specialize in one area and are still getting up to speed in the other, don’t let that dissuade you from applying. It’s more meaningful to us that you’re a great developer and a keen learner.
- Back-end and front-end development, ranging from minor product updates to entirely new features and products
- Lead the implementation of and strategy for developing headline customer-facing features, including project management and delegation, cross-functional pairing and regular updates to both the product and broader team
- Contributing to early stage scoping work to provide technical input and feasibility insights for prioritised features, including technical spikes
- Providing assistance to the customer support team where needed for technical support enquiries and customer bug reports
- Participate and actively engage in regular Scrum activities, including standup, review, retro and planning
- Contribute to development team and product team strategic thinking in the form of workshops, regular meetings and ongoing improvement initiatives
- Contribute to and actively develop team culture in line with our values and working agreements
- Deploying to production, and setting up and maintaining production infrastructure and tooling
- Reviewing code written by other team members
- Documenting technical processes, architecture and conventions
- Develop, maintain and use front-end components
- Writing and maintaining automated tests, and manually testing software
- Monitor, respond to, diagnosing and fix bugs
- Handle urgent outages and security issues, monitor the security inbox
- Providing assistance where needed to extract and analyse product usage data
- Monitor, diagnose and optimise our product suite’s performance.
- Participate in collaborative design ideation and research activities including sketching, competitor review, research interviews
- UI design in browser, pairing with designers
- UI design in Balsamiq (wireframes), pairing with designers
- Participate in hiring interviews & screening for technical hires
- Writing UI copy, pairing with designers
- Expertise in our front-end (Typescript, React, Redux, Webpack) or back-end (Ruby, Rails, Postgres) stack, and capability and eagerness to learn across both domains
- Previous experience in a SaaS company and/or working in the digital design industry is highly desirable
- Experience working in cross-functional Agile/Scrum product teams
- You must be legally eligible to work in Australia.
Compensation and benefits
- Competitive salary
- Choice of working four day week, nine day fortnight or full-time hours
- Generous paid parental leave (14 weeks primary / 6 weeks secondary)
- Annual budget for L&D activities
- Six full days per year set aside for self-directed learning and improvement.
This role reports to our CTO, Nicholas Firth-McCoy
How to apply
Please fill out the short application form with a few details about yourself, including a cover letter addressing your ability to deliver on the Key Responsibilities and your CV.
We're happy to chat with anyone about the role, even if you're not actively looking for a new job. If you know anyone who might be a good fit, please send them our way :)
UsabilityHub is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.